How many people are really booked into local jails each year? And for what crimes? Our panel digs into a recent Prison Policy Initiative report that examines the data to help explain the problem of jail churn in cities and jurisdictions across the U.S.
- Ethan Corey, Senior Fact Checker & Researcher, The Appeal
- Wanda Bertram, Communications Strategist at Prison Policy Initiative
- Wendy Sawye, Research Director at Prison Policy Initiative
- Alexandra Natapoff, Chancellors Professor of Law at the University of California, Irvine School of Law, and author of Punishment Without Crime: How Our Massive Misdemeanor System Traps the Innocent and Makes America More Unequal
- Dylan Hayre, Senior Policy Advisor at JustLeadershipUSA
During the conversation, experts discuss what drives our bloated jail population, and what we can do to avoid trapping vulnerable communities in cycles of incarceration that result in millions of jail admissions each year.