This Friday, February 28, The Justice Collaborative Institute is hosting a day-long event for community leaders, journalists, elected officials, and academics from communities in California, Arizona, Oregon, Colorado, and Nevada on The Justice Guarantee.
WHEN: 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m., Friday, February 28, 2020
If you are interested in attending or have any questions, please send an email to email@example.com for more information.
Panelists include District Attorney Chesa Boudin, who will be announcing policies in his office to address racial disparities in the criminal legal system; Carroll Fife and other Moms4Housing advocates; and elected criminal justice leaders from all over the West.
Speakers will not only explain their work and policies on resisting the criminalization and dehumanization of the poor, building mental health systems, and working to end mass incarceration, but also discuss how they are organizing for specific local and state policies and legislation that prioritize human rights and human dignity for all. As part of the event, Represent Justice will also host a free screening of Just Mercy at the Roxie Theater. The full day’s agenda is available here.
- Chesa Boudin, San Francisco District Attorney
- Jody David Armour, Roy P. Crocker Professor of Law at the University of Southern California
- Representative Leslie Herod, Colorado General Assembly (D-Denver)
- Senator Nancy Skinner, CA State Senate (D-Berkeley)
- Professor Melina Abdullah, BLM-LA; Professor and Former Chair of Pan-African Studies, Cal State LA
- Carroll Fife, Oakland Director, ACCE and Organizer, Moms4Housing
- Jo Ann Hardesty, Portland City Commissioner
- San Francisco Supervisor Hillary Ronen
- Tim Black, Operations Co-ordinator, CAHOOTS/White Bird Clinic, Eugene, Oregon
- Paul Boden, Executive Director, Western Regional Advocacy Project
- Leah Simon-Weisberg, Legal Director for Anti-Displacement and Land Use Programs, ACCE
- Justin Tombolesi, Acquisitions Director, Resident Coordinator, Oakland Community Land Trust
- Jamal Trulove, Exoneree, Actor, Activist
- Manohar Raju, San Francisco Public Defender
- Darwin BondGraham, Journalist
- Mike Dickerson, Co-founder and Education Chair, KTownforAll, Los Angeles
- Emily Paulsen, Executive Director, Nevada Homeless Alliance
- Assemblymember Ash Kalra (D-San Jose)
- Alastair Boone, Editor in Chief, Street Spirit
The full list of speakers and bios is available here.
The Justice Collaborative Institute is a coalition of justice reform scholars from across the nation focused on providing an academic perspective to conversations and work surrounding mass incarceration and related issues.